The KZN, South Coast offers some of the finest angling areas in the world.
Here are a few of the famous and not-so-famous spots to try your luck:
- Famous Fishing Spots – Scottburgh & Pennington
- Famous Fishing Spots – Umzumbe & Port Shepstone
- Famous Fishing Spots – Margate Pier & Lee Rock
- Famous Fishing Spots – Pot Hole & Orange Rocks
- Famous Fishing Spots – Shirley Avenue, Ramsgate
- Famous Fishing Spots – Trafalgar
- Famous Fishing Spots – Palm Beach High Rock, Ladder Rock & Splash Rock, Port Edward
The deep water spots can produce large sandsharks and a variety of rays especially during the hot summer months. Casting and fast retrieving of surface ‘poppers’ may attract Kingfish during summer although other species cannot be ruled out. Casting with ‘spinners’ in the early morning or late afternoon during autumn and winter may bag you a King Mackerel, Yellowtail, Kingfish, Garrick or Natal Snoek.
The beaches, particularly those with broken reef and white water will produce edible fish such as bronze bream, brusher, rockcod, cave bass, and blacktail. Such species can also be targeted along the sides of the ‘points’ and in the gullies in proximity.
Speak to any of our local tackle shops with regards to appropriate tackle and bait. You will find the folks who work there are generally experienced anglers who will be more than willing to share their knowledge with you.
One request on behalf of our wonderful planet, please practice conservation: Release the inedible species unharmed and only keep the edibles you intend to eat. Future generations will thank you!